neverwhere

I first came to know of Neil Gaiman through my favourite tudi. She used to (still does?) rave about the Sandman series. So when I chanced upon this book by Neil Gaiman, I stopped to take a look. The story appeared interesting enough for me to spend AUD20+ on the book although I didn't quite like the cover. I'm not sure if it's just me, but book covers (the design, colour, texture of the paper, font, graphic etc) affect to a very large extent my selection of my read for the month. I was also pleasantly delighted to discover that Stardust was written by Neil Gaiman too. I enjoyed the movie and wouldn't mind getting the book.

Once I got started on Neverwhere, I couldn't stop reading it. Gaiman is really such a good storyteller.

One of the main characters in Neverwhere, Door, has such unique and amazing powers - she and her family possess the ability to open doors. They can create doors where there are no doors, unlock doors that are locked and open doors that are never meant to be opened. They live in a house, if you can call that a house, where there is only one huge white room they call the entrance hall that has no doors nor openings of any kind. Instead the walls are filled with pictures of different rooms in different locations all linked to the entrance hall and only Door and her family can access these rooms with their door opening abilities. Her dad will travel, find places he likes and links it to the entrance hall. I think that is so cool! Maybe that is how our houses will be like in many many many years down the road!

My favourite character is the Marquis de Carabas. I never once doubted his loyalty to Door although he may appear to be the slippery kind. I didn't think he really 'died' when he did because I knew he has to have a bigger role to play than that. Hunter caught me by surprise though. I was always under the impression that Croup and Vandemar were deliberately creating feelings of mistrust by dropping hints of the existence of a traitor in the group. On hindsight, Hunter does seem the most suspicious one most likely to be the traitor among them.

Richard Mayhew is just plain common and a weakling until he passed the ordeal of the key. That totally changed my impression of him. And also when he prepared to sacrifice himself during the final confrontation with Islington. His girlfriend for the first few chapters, Jessica, is a total bitch. She is so like someone I know. *shivers at the thought of it*

I really like the floating market concept. I find it funny that one of the markets took place at Harrods. I wonder how Gaiman came up with all the amazing things one can find at the floating market. There's a stall that sells nightmares. I have lots of them to barter trade in the floating market in Sydney Below, if it exists!

I wonder, if there is a Sydney Below, would I dare venture into it? I think I'll prefer to stay in my comfort zone, hide away under my warm quilt hugging my very soft bolster than to go explore the sewers, get lost in a labyrinth and fight evil angels or ugly beasts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

tudi is glad u liked neverwhere. apparently they are trying to make a movie from it, based on stardust's success.

tudi liked neverwhere more then stardust tho coz of the refreshing concepts. :D

tudi juz got "American Gods" recently but havent started on it yet. ;)

MUACKIEZ

monkeycrab said...

i'm now reading stardust. 2 chapters into it and ya i think i like neverwhere more. i am going to read american gods next! i struggled a bit when deciding whether to get stardust or american gods last week, but cos i'm sick, i chose the one less thick and easier to read. i may end up finishing american gods before you even start!

Eileen Chong said...

Stardust comes in a graphic novel version too which I found much more enchanting than the novel version.

You might like to read Clive Barker's "The Thief of Always" as well. Look in secondhand bookstores next time as Gaiman is quite popular and you'll likely save about $10.

monkeycrab said...

Ya I love hanging out at secondhand bookstores. Which ones do you go to?

Eileen Chong said...

I am usually in Glebe before uni and I even worked at a bookshop (for one day) in Randwick. I also look for books sometimes at thrift stores, they surprise you as many secondhand bookstores turn away people who want to sell their books, and the books end up at secondhand shops.

but this is my main resource:
http://www.bookshops.com.au/

very useful for obscure titles!

Eileen Chong said...

oh, forgot another tip: when you see a book at a secondhand bookstore always ask nicely if they have a cheaper, older copy (if you don't mind that is), they usually do for popular authors :)