flemington market

Saturday was a good day to go outdoors. Bright and sunny, it almost felt like summer. I woke up at an astonishing hour - 9.30am (anyone close to me knows what a lazy bum I am, I never wake up before noon on weekends!). The reason for waking early was to go squeeze with 3 thousand others (I exaggerate) to get cheap fruits and veges from the Growers' Market in Flemington.



See how huge the place is? I may not be exaggerating after all when I say a few thousand others were there.



You can get all kinds of fruits and veges from this place. Some, I couldn't even identify what they were.



They sell by the boxes and sacks. People like me who buy 2 tomatoes and 1 carrot when I go supermarket shopping should not even be coming here. That bag of carrots above can last me a year, I reckon. And that sack of potatoes? If I finish those before they go bad, you'll probably see me balloon to 3x my current size.



See how cheap things are here? A box of at least 20 big granny smith apples only sets you back $5. When it gets nearer to closing time, the seller will part with this same box for $2 or even $1. The whole place becomes a nightmare from 1pm onwards, with sellers screaming "$1! $2!" while doing weird things to attract your attention. I barely made it out alive after getting myself some radish, a kilo of brocolli, a tray of ripe on the vine tomatoes, 2 punnets of cherry tomatoes, a tray of mandarins, a box of apples, a kilo of celery, 3 kilos of avocado, an enormous pumpkin and a massive headache. I do not know how the hell I am going to finish all these. But what the heck, the fun was in the bargaining for a great deal.

ps: BH, this is Paddy's Market x10! From the way you were so satisfied with yourself over your $1 for 8 apples (or something like that) I think you will go crazy when you go to Flemington Market!

No comments: