cny mood in the house

We didn't put up much CNY decoration in the house this year because I didn't have time to go Chinatown shopping with Mama (I only landed two nights before CNY Eve, remember?). Nevertheless, there are still bits and pieces in the house that add to the Spring Festival mood. Although I have not yet learnt to appreciate some of these brightly coloured and old fashioned ornaments, I must say having some kind of deco is still better than none - they actually brighten up the whole house and are constant reminders that it's not just another day today, it's the start of a new lunar year!

Here we have the God of Wealth on our main door (the door is starting to show some cracks from the frequent slams caused by the wind) wishing everyone Gong Xi Fa Cai (translates to wishing you prosperity) and a bag of bah kwa (BBQed pork slice that tastes quite similar to beef jerky) with 2 mandarin oranges.



We have a new door mat. Nice! I really like the orange flowers against the blue background.



The red cushions on the couch. I don't find them very attractive but they do stand out and are quite nice to hug when watching tv...



On the Guan Yin (Goddess of Mercy) altar, Mama has this new crystal bowl to hold the oil and lotus shaped candle holder.



This Pi Xiu figurine below is not something new. It was a gift I brought back from China in 2005 for Mama. According to Wiki: In Chinese Feng Shui, a Pi Xiu is a mythical animal which is depicted with the head of a dragon and a dog or lion's body often with hoofs, little wings and a tail. It is a loyal guardian that is frequently seen guarding the tombs of emperors or on the roofs of important buildings. It is believed a Pi Xiu absorbs evil and as it has no anus the evil cannot escape and infect the place it protects. It also absorbs wealth from all directions and signifies money coming in without going out which is why they are often depicted with a full belly standing on a bed of Chinese coins. A Pi Xiu is also believed to attract short-term wealth, as in a lottery win or a cash bonus so is very auspicious in Feng Shui terms.

Mama has decided to display it prominently together with a mahjong tile that says Huat ah (to prosper) for good luck.



And because the new year is the year of the Ox, she bought these two cute figurines, but I think they look more like cows leh.



The below shots were taken of my grandpa's plants. It's a tradition to hang red ribbons and other red stuff on them for CNY.



I actually thought the fruits were real when I first glanced at them from afar. And I was damn amazed that my grandpa could grow strawberries in hot humid Singapore! What an idiot I am. Oh... but the little kam quat (baby tangerine) is real ok!



Below graphic is nothing related to CNY, however the monkey print is something Mr P painted on the wall in my old bedroom while I was away for when I next come back for CNY, so I guess you can call it part of the CNY deco for the house too. And here I present to you the monkey painter Mr P.



And hey, Happy OZ Day for all those of you back in Oz land!!!

No comments: