intimate enemies

Okay this may be a little late, the French Film Festival 2008 was on from 5 - 19 March in Sydney.

Hmmm... maybe not too late cos it's still on or going to be on in Brisbane, Canberra, Perth and Adelaide. Check out the schedule
here.

I went to Paddington with a friend last week, a desperate last minute attempt to try to catch at least one film. Top on my list of to-watch films was
Paris - completely sold out way way way way in advance. Dazzling cast, emo storyline, what do you expect. I still wanna watch this, maybe I'll rent the DVD or something.

Then it was suggested we watch
The Dinner Guest. Given we only had two days before the festival ended in Sydney and we were only able to make it on one of the two days, we really didn't have many options. I thought, comedy... shouldn't go too wrong.

But in our after-work rush and the stress we experienced trying to find a park, we got to the wrong theatre and got tickets to whatever show we could get our hands on. So we caught
Intimate Enemies. A war show. How many people are even aware of the Algerian war of independence (1954 - 1962)? I note with interest that it was only officially acknowledged in 1999 that a "war" had taken place (official terminology used for this founding event of Algerian history was "public order operation").

It was a sad show. Well, which war movie is happy? But there was a small part that made me secretly chuckle inside. These two groups of soldiers started firing at each other, injuring many and killing some, before realising that they're fellow comrades. I related that to the everyday work life - when the top screws up, the men die.

I love watching war shows and reading war stories. Lots of lessons to learn. But they sometimes affect me too much emotionally - I recall myself having nightmares of my family being massacred and crying non-stop even after I woke after watching Saving Private Ryan in 1997; and how I looked up to Captain Winters and cried and laughed with all in the Easy Company through the entire Band of Brothers series in 1999; and how envious I was of Joshua in Life is Beautiful (Italian: La vita è bella) for having such a great father.

I wouldn't mind re-watching Band of Brothers again. Been wanting to do that for a long time. Just need to find the time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wah shifu... 往事随风 was one of my fav songs... next time we sing together! (eh how come i cannot post comment... this is my 6th attempt.) and since i cldnt post it there... i decided to post it here. grrrrrr

monkeycrab said...

oooooo.... i now have like a million such fav oldies! haha. next trip back we must spend like at least 10 hours at karaoke lor!

oh and dunno y u cant comment there... zzz...

Anonymous said...

Aiyo angel.. Wish so much that I can catch all those French movies with you in Sydney. Am going to start sourcing for DVDs or online viewing.. = )
Take Care!

Anonymous said...

paddington?! that's so cute HAHA! Like the wellington's boots, you know? The bear stays there!

and sorry, no photo, i forgot >_>

monkeycrab said...

angel: we'll see what festival will be happening here when u come visit in july. btw i still owe u the dates... zzz...

yangs: haha isit? i didn't know lor. if u come here i will show u how sydney's paddington looks like.