where is my cheque book?

I first called up OCBC Bank in Singapore towards the end of May 2008 to request for a new cheque book. I was at the last 4 cheques of the booklet I was using then. After no less than 6 phone calls and 3 months later, I finally received my new cheque book TODAY.

By the third time I called, that was sometime end June, I managed to find out that a cheque book had been mailed out on 17th June. And so I asked why it took them so long to mail it out when my request was made in May. I didn't get an answer because the customer service officer didn't know.

Subsequently, I waited until almost end July and still there was no cheque book in my letterbox. So what could I do except call up the bank again? Whoever I spoke to then had the audacity to tell me to wait a few more weeks, after checking his system and seeing that they had done their part by mailing out the damn cheque book on the 17th of June. Does it take a super genius to figure out that the damn cheque book must have gotten lost in the mail if it hasn't arrived 5 weeks after you dumped it into the post box?

I had to insist repeatedly that I wanted them to cancel that book they mailed out and issue a new one. Someone could have intercepted it and possibly signed away my life savings (not that I have a lot of money but it's still money) and they wanted me to "WAIT A FEW MORE WEEKS"???

July came and went and STILL NO CHEQUE BOOK. A few more phone calls later, I discovered that there was only one cheque book mailed out on the 17th June and despite my repeated requests to cancel that missing cheque book and re-issue a new one, it was never done.

I had to !#%$^&%$^%*&($%$^&^ at the call centre staff so loudly to get my point across before they finally cancelled the cheque book that went missing and re-sent one more - the one I received today. What idiots.

Read more about these idiots in my previous entry on my experience with the banks' call centre staff when I had to update my mailing address.

3 comments:

Eileen Chong said...

ack, it's horrible! i always get really kan cheong when i am on calls to these places. i always stress "i'm calling from OVERSEAS" and sometimes i even speak like an aussie to get better service!!

i decided to cancel most of my bank accounts after 6 months, it was just too hard getting really small things done.

Edmond Wu said...

i always thought ocbc's customer service was #1...

monkeycrab said...

BH: i used to think so too. but have changed my mind now. and hey, u got a blogger account! but u dont blog here... hmm...

e: yeah it's a good idea to close the accounts. i have to keep mine cos i still have bills that need paying back home. its really troublesome.