still croaking

It's been a week since I first started croaking like a frog. I went to the doctor's on Monday after unsuccessfully trying to survive the morning at work. I was scolded by the doc for allowing my tonsils to get "this huge" before dragging myself to the clinic. The diagnosis was laryngitis. She prescribed me a double dosage of antibiotics and told me to take 2 days off work which I did. However, she did not prescribe anything for my fever or cough and so I continued my panadol and difflam lozenges regime with the antibiotics.

Now, 6 days later, I'm finishing the last of my first dose of antibiotics and still don't see any signs of regaining my voice. My tonsils are still as swollen, I was still getting fevers last night, and I've been coughing so badly my chest hurts. Just getting out of the house to get lunch or dinner saps all my energy and I have to lie down for a few hours to recover afterwards.

I will have to pay the chemist another visit tomorrow (already been there 3 times this week!) to get some cough syrup and my second dose of antibiotics. Not even sure if I can go for the Malaysian Food Festival at Darling Harbour tomorrow. And I hope I can control my coughing when watching the Phantom musical so I don't disturb the others in the audience. Being sick for so long is really not that fun. I wonder if my history of bronchitis and near-TBs have anything to do with me getting these persistent coughs and throat infections.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi jac, is there any chinese medical hall near your place? maybe you can boil & drink some 南杏北杏 + dried persimmon (+ something else which i can't really recall)...it'll help sooth your throat & maybe help cure your cough. Drink more warm water too & keep yourself warm when you go for the Phantom musical performance (cos the cough will get worse if you feel cold). Hope you get well soon. Take care.

monkeycrab said...

chinese medical hall... nearest one is in the city. by the time i knock off work everyday, all the shops will be closed so the earliest i can try to go find these things will on the late night shopping day on thursday. but boiling these herbal soup thingy can be very troublesome hor?

Anonymous said...

oh...but if your friends happen to be in the city, maybe you can ask them to get for you? (ya..i know..you don't like to trouble people...but sometimes it's alright to do that...)

boiling can be troublesome? not at all...just let it boil for about 30-45min (depending on the amount of water you add) & you can continue with your own things at the same time...

maybe you would like to give it a try?

take care, okay?

Anonymous said...

chio-est one, this sounds serious esp when it takes so long to get better.

Don't know what to say that will help u get better, but pls abstain from cold water and any food that's "liang". Stay away from grapes, oranges as they tend to worsen cough too.

BTW, do u hv access to CNA? This coming Wed (9:31 pm sg time) it is showing "A Journey of Hope": ovarian cancer. I'm in it. =)

Take care hor. *hugs*

monkeycrab said...

flyaway: orh yes madam. I'll see what i can do... (u know how lazy i am...)

rae: will it be streamed on the CNA website? if not, then i dont think i'll get to watch it. I really want to see you on tv!!!