samsung vs sony ericsson

I've been on the hunt for a suitable new phone for the longest time. You may remember I had a phone on my birthday wishlists for the last two years, but each time, I got myself some other toy and never a proper phone. Distractions distractions.

With Christmas coming in less than two weeks' time, and my dinosaur pink Razr approaching the limit of its lifespan, I'm thinking I should really stop procrastinating and get myself a new phone before it dies on me. Furthermore, having been on a prepaid plan for three years and four months now and not gaining anything from it, I might as well sign up for a proper contract in exchange for a free mobile phone of my choice.

After spending the first half of a morning on the internet, I shortlisted five potentials:
- iPhone 3GS
- Samsung S8300 UltraTouch
- Samsung i8910 Omnia HD
- Sony Ericsson AINO
- Sony Ericsson SATIO

After more web surfing for the rest of the morning and considering all aspects of the purchase including the technical specs and budget, I narrowed down to just the two below. The iPhone which has been top on my want list for two years has now slipped to the bottom; its specs are really quite crappy when you do a full-on comparison. I guess it's more of a fashion accessory deemed by many to be the 'in' phone to have. Besides, I don't think I'll ever have the time to play with all the apps. So might as well save that money for something else more practical.

1) Sony Ericsson AINO


View full specs here.


2) Samsung i8910 Omnia HD

View full specs here.


In comparing these two, I think it all boils down to whether I really need the HD video function that only the Samsung can offer.

2 comments:

SK said...

Just got an iPhone this month on a new contract and absolutely loving it. Haven't tested the other phones on your list.

Eliss said...

The Omnia is a good choice. I played with it for a while and find the interface surprisingly friendly on a IT-idiot like me. I would choose this over the normal Nokia and sob* if my iPhone dies.