dune chronicles




I've been wanting to read Frank Herbert's Dune Chronicles since eons ago. Although the first book Dune was published in 1965, I never knew its existence until I played the PC game Dune 2000 (a real-time strategy game based on Herbert's Dune universe) when I was in college. I got so addicted to the game I would spend days and nights in front of the computer without food or sleep (not unlike my MapleStory addiction LOL).

Seeing how the chronicles have made it to the top few spots of so many must-read lists all over the net, how frequently they are cited as the world's best-selling science fiction novels, and how it was acclaimed that Frank Herbert had set the trend for 'planetary ecology' sci-fi, I decided I have to find out for myself if they are really that good.

Any comments from anyone who's read these books?

4 comments:

The Barista said...

Jac - i have not read the book but the movie version of Dune [based on the first book by Frank Herbert] and written / directed by David Lynch is amazing..P

Eileen Chong said...

I've read the first three -- Dune is still the best of them all, from what I read (and heard from my friend who's read them all).

Have you ever read Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea Quartet? There is also L.E. Modesitt Jr's series which is good if you like magic and stuff like that.

MojitoMint said...

I only managed to read up to children of dune. There's a lot of plot to keep you occupied. Can't remember why I lost interest..but tempted to start picking up the book again!

monkeycrab said...

P: maybe i should go rent the dvd... hmmm

E: okie i've added the 2 suggested titles to my list of books to check out. hope u have been well. have a great new year ahead!

Mojito: seems like u have a lot of books u wanna pick up!!!! got time to read bo?