applying for exemption

Being a foreigner working in Australia, I am not entitled to the benefits of Medicare - Australia's universal health care system that provides free or low-cost medical, optometrical and hospital care to Australian citizens and permanent residents. The Australian government then has to implement a levy system to ensure people such as I take up the responsibility of getting ourselves sufficiently covered for health care in order not to become a liability to the rest of the Australian population.

This levy thing pops up annually when we file our income tax here. I was supposed to have filed my tax for income earned in financial year 2007-08 (1 July 07 - 30 June 08) by 31 Oct 08. But I had to get an exemption from the Medicare levy (which is like an exorbitant rate of AUD900 for me, I think) before I could file my tax. So I sent in my exemption application on 1 Sept 08, allowing a full two months for the relevant authorities to process the straightforward two-page form.

I sent a follow-up email to Medicare to enquire about the application status a month later on 7 Oct and was advised "We are currently advising that it can take up to 10-11 weeks from initial date of receipt for a response to be received at your nominated postal address.".

Fine. So I called the good people at the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and presented my case - that it was unlikely I could file my tax by the stipulated deadline. I got an extension of deadline from 31 Oct to 22 Dec. The lady from the ATO call centre was so very helpful! I should have gotten her name so that I can write a complimentary letter to her manager. The extension was great news and I just sat back and waited to hear from Medicare.

Another follow-up email was sent at the end of Nov and I was told "In reply to your enquiry below, we are currently processing applications received on 1 September 2008.". Whatever happened to the 10-11 weeks processing time? We were already into the 13th week and they were only starting to process my application?

And finally, yesterday, 8 Dec, exactly 14 weeks after I sent in the application, I got a letter in the mail "I am pleased to confirm that you and your dependents are eligible for exemption from the Medicare levy for taxation purposed for the period.".

I wonder what extensive research and/or adminstration needed to be done before the exemption can be granted such that it took more than three months. That's more than a quarter of a year gone. How irritating.

No comments: