the unbelievable

More than a decade ago, my GP tutor in JC posed a question on what we hope to achieve in our lives to which I answered: “I want to make an impact on the lives I come into contact with”.

I seem to vaguely remember writing about this in my previous blog some years ago but cannot seem to locate that particular entry.

I am once again reminded of my aspiration when I had a peep in my ex-teacher’s newly established blog – The Unbelievable. Ms Lim, in her debut blog entry, attributed one of her two motivation factors behind setting up her blog to one of her dearest ex-students, yours truly.

She wrote: “I am an educator myself, and I never knew the impact we can have on the kids that we meet in class everyday till recently, when I met up with an ex-student of mine, that I taught some 13 years back. I read her blog; her little reflection on her meeting up with me. I am deeply touched, and I finally understood the impact we can have on an individual's life, and how after many years, it still lingers on.”

How true. To this day, I still remember the teachings from the many great mentors I have been very fortunate to have known. Even my little ambitious statement of hoping to make impacts on others was derived from something I heard from a senior in secondary school who gave me support through some of my darkest years and who first shared with me the philosophy of paying it forward when I was in my mere teens.

Today, I am greatly heartened to hear that my blog has touched some souls out there (many are now my friends too!) and has slowly become a source of inspiration and encouragement for many (you know who you people are *wink*). No matter how small the audience is, I am proud to have made some kind of positive impact on others. I hope my influence in getting ‘The Unbelievable’ started will blossom into something beautiful for Ms Lim and her readers too.

No comments: