torn lens

I did not realise I am down to my last pair of contact lenses. I accidentally tore the side of my right lens and it now irritates my eye so much I can't wear it for long hours. So I went to search high and low for the particular brand and type of contacts I wear. This was the response I got in almost all the optical shops I stepped into:

"Sorry, we can't sell them to you over the counter. You will need a prescription. This is to safeguard us in case of any legal issues that may arise. You can either provide us with a valid prescription or we can arrange for you to take an eye test and do a proper fitting session that will take around 45min and will cost you about $50. However, we are fully booked this week but I can schedule you in for next week."

Firstly, I already know the degree of my shortsightedness and the curvature of the lenses I wear. I even showed them the box of my old lenses where all the specs are clearly stated. So of course I am not willing to pay extra $ for an eye test and fitting session.

Secondly, I am not a local nor am I staying here permanently. My prescription is stored somewhere with an optometrist back home in SG. I can't even remember guy's name or the shop contact details so how the hell am I going to contact them to send my prescription over? Even if I manage to somehow get someone to send something over, I'm sure it will not be recognised as a valid prescription because it's not from a local optometrist.

Thirdly, ok if I really have to do the eye test, then fine I'll pay the $50. But how the hell am I going to survive the next one week with a torn right lens (I sure am not wearing my ugly specs out) until a slot is available for me to do the test?

So I persevered and went to try my luck at other shops. Finally I found one willing to take my empty lens box as proof that I have been prescribed with these lenses and sell me the lenses with the same specs without me having to go through all the eye test and fitting shit. BUT. There always has to be a BUT huh. They don't carry the stock in the shop. They will have to place an order which will take a few business days to arrive - which is next week.

So I still have to wait til next week. But at least I don't have to pay that extra $50. And oh by the way, in case you don't already know, the lenses cost is double what I can get in SG. I hate Australia. Why do they have to make everything so difficult (and expensive) here?

3 comments:

Eileen Chong said...

I think it's because the healthcare system in place provides subsidies for eye health. For example eye tests are usually covered by Medicare, and private health insurances subsidises glasses and contact lenses.

So my pair of glasses were covered under my insurance, and contact lenses, well I have about $75 credit, so I think I can buy a month's supply and be reimbursed.

I for one am going back to Singapore to stock up on my contact lenses, they are a whole lot cheaper back there, you're right!

Alex said...

wow, i got similar experience when i was touring Perth few years back. They are pretty strict on this, must do test and whatever stuff then they make one for ya.

But then i remembered i can collect immediately leh. Ohh... its specs, not lens.

Not cheap at all.

monkeycrab said...

E: ya i understand the healthcare system here takes care of the majority so i really shouldn't complain. but i just have to rant about it cos my eye is irritating the hell out of me and i can't do anything abt it now. u know how it is, when u urgently need something and yet you can't get it cos of all the 'procedures' you have to go through, it's just frustrating. and ya i always stock up on my lenses and solutions when i go back to sg, but this time i just lost track of my stock.