nz day 2: off road at the red rocks

After waking up to the million dollar misty lake view, we prepared to set off for an off-road drive to the Red Rocks Reserve - so called because of the distinctive colouring of the rocks caused by the iron oxide in the ancient pillow lava formed 200 million years ago by undersea volcanic eruptions - to see some fur seals.


A cheery Van skipping down the steps to the car.


Our navigator preparing for the drive.

We managed to borrow a truck (SUV actually) off a friend who also very kindly took the day off work to be our driver. There were some really tricky passes that he skillfully manoeuvred through that got the adrenaline really pumping for us passengers seated in the back who constantly got our heads banged against the side windows - it was that rough. I enjoyed it. I should get myself a 4x4 and go cross some rivers in it too.


This part of the terrain seems tame enough. Trust me, there were some areas so bad I thought the whole car was gonna flip on its side and topple down the rocky sides into the sea or something.

Because we didn't see any seals in the first part of the journey, we ended up taking snapshots of random stuff like the below.


The two tourists snapping away at the scenery. As for me, I prefer to capture weird stuff, like these two peeps.


Don't you think I look so cool with my photography gear? My new seven million Crumpler suits me!


Love my scarf and boots. It takes great skill to keep my balance on that rotten log while carrying a 5kg bag full of cameras and lenses and attempting to aim a close-to-1kg camera for this shot.


I kindly donated my old hot pink Sony T5 so that everyone in the group has a camera to point and shoot with.


Lines of wisdom always make a man appear sexier than he is. A great smile helps too. ;p


Even if your photography skills are just average, it's still good to dress the part like a professional.

Finally we spotted some seals. There was this one seal that was lying miles away from the water, half buried in some overgrown weeds, that looked like it was in pain. After squatting next to it and trying to talk to it for a while, we concluded it was dying.


Poor seal.


Left: This was a healthy seal.
Right: I was trying to blend in with the rocks.



Here I was trying to get as close as possible to the supposedly injured/dying seal. I squatted there next to it for a long while and actually saw tears streaming down its face nonstop for a long time. I wonder if it's really crying from emotions or is that its body's natural reaction to get rid of the excess salt in its eyes?


Just as you think it's harmless, it rears up and gives a mighty roar. The expression on Paul's face is priceless.


Couldn't resist taking a shot of this couple who appeared very much in love.

We had little 2.5 years old Benji observing us from inside the car when we tried to get close to the seemingly harmless injured seal that decided to warn us away with a mighty roar. He got so terrified that we were all gonna get eaten up that he started crying and wouldn't stop until we got him home to Mummy. Hence we cut the drive short and went home. Interestingly, he changed from "I want Mummy" to "I don't want Mummy anymore, I want planes" in a matter of seconds when we drove past the airport runway on the way back.

2 comments:

xuan-er said...

did it smell there?

monkeycrab said...

nope. there wasn't that many seals around, unlike the fisherman's wharf in SF - I still remember the stench I experienced when I was there in 2000!