who is more important?

Scenario:
You are in a senior management work meeting. You have 2 mobile phones that start to ring at the same time. One is from your spouse. The other is from a co-worker. You do not know what either of them is calling you for. You can only pick up one call.

Question:
Which phone call will you answer?

My observations throughout my working years in instances which may not be exactly like the scenario above but could be variations of it:

1) A male usually ignores/hangs up without answering if the caller is his wife/girlfriend/lover or someone from his family such as mother/father/brother/sister but answers the call without hesitation if the caller is a colleague/boss/client/supplier.

2) A woman usually does the opposite.

3) On the rare occasion in 1) when the male decides to do the opposite and realises that the wife/girlfriend/lover/mother/father/brother/sister is calling for something quite trivial, for example, to ask if he is heading home for dinner, he usually snaps at the caller, gives a brief reply and hangs up with irritation written all over his face.

4) A woman usually doesn't display her irritation no matter how trivial a matter her husband/boyfriend/lover/mother/father/brother/sister is calling for.

Note I state 'usually'. It's interesting to note the difference in priorities of the M versus the F but I am not going to go into an epic-battle-of-the-sexes discussion today.

For me personally, no matter how critical a meeting I may be in and how absolutely important it may be that I not interrupt the meeting by answering the phone, there are some very important people in my life that I will not miss any calls from if I can help it - Mum, Bro, Boyfriend (although this last position is currently vacant awaiting suitable applicants). There are ways to pick up a loved one's phone call in the midst of a meeting without being disruptive, trust me.

Sure, most of their calls have not been for anything close to emergencies (yet), but since when can you predict a life threatening incident or when they require immediate assistance? Most people's natural instincts are to phone someone closest to them who are on the phone's quick dial when shite happens even if they have been taught all their lives to call the emergency services (police/fire brigade/ambulance). I really don't want to press the 'ignore' key on my phone and regret that only after something bad happens.


Btw, this blog post was inspired by a real life incident at work when someone in the meeting room ignored a phone call, apologised to the meeting group: "Oh that's just my wife", and then proceeded to answer another incoming call from a colleague just minutes later. I really don't quite understand this. *shrugs*

No comments: