getting in-shape again

I signed up for a gym membership at the InShape Health Club at Alexandria, which is located just a street away from where I live. Searching through my old blog for my exercise records, I reckon the last time I did any proper exercise was in August 2006. That is so unhealthy! OMG. How did I live until now?

Anyways, I went for a workout at InShape Alexandria for the first time today. Made an appointment with a personal trainer to utilise my complimentary 'Gold Session' that comes with every new member registration. Scott, a rather cute hunk, spent about 30min with me, taking my height and weight measurements, recording down my sleeping, eating, exercising, lifestyle habits and history, drawing up a tailored exercise program for achieving my fitness goals which by the way is purely to improve my general fitness (I've been feeling tired all the time lately, which is very worrying) and not much to do with any weight-loss related motivation in order to look good although that will be one of the by-products of attending regular gym workout sessions, and then running me through one set of the program he drew up for me. The complete routine he did for me is made up of:

- 3 sets of lunges to the entrance and back (one round trip is approx. 30m)
- 3 sets of 15 squats with a fitness ball
- 3 sets of 15 hip thrusts on a fitness ball
- 3 sets of 15 push ups
- 3 sets of 15 crunches
- 3 sets of 15 oblique crunches (elbow to opposite knee)
- 3 sets of 15seconds bridges
- 3 sets of 15 roll-outs on fitness ball
- 15min on the treadmill
- 15min on the rower

After the personal training session, I went on the treadmill and did 15min of brisk walking at a speed of 6.5 (this should be in km/h?) followed by another 15min on the elliptical trainer. That's enough for someone who hasn't exercised in years. I have to slowly condition my body for such workouts and not overexert myself or I may end up not able to get out of bed the next day. I didn't feel the least bit tired when I left the gym. But as I type this entry now, I am starting to feel a slight ache in my butt and thigh areas. Wow. I am going to get such toned butts, I'm sure.

This Health Club at Alexandria also has an Olympic sized pool and rooftop tennis courts. The Swimways Swim School conducts swimming lessons for all abilities and ages from 6 month old infants to adults. Although I can swim, I am embarrassed to say that I only know the breaststroke and have always been a very weak swimmer. One lap is enough to make me totally breathless and unable to continue swimming. Hence, I am extremely keen to take up swimming lessons at this club to properly learn the various swimming strokes. As for the tennis courts, I have heard that the view from the rooftop is great, but I am not as keen on tennis as I am on swimming for now.

I have planned my next visit to the gym to be on Saturday morning. I will be attending the 60min Les Mills Body Balance class. The description provided on the website explains that this is a dynamic stretch class that leaves you feeling relaxed and renewed. Balance combines the principles of Yoga, Pilates and Tai chi, such as breathing, flexibility & strength. Sounds like a great class to attend. I am so looking forward to it.

No comments: