of family

There were many heart wrenching moments today as I set about spending my second last day in Singapore with those who matter.

Monkey Cousin insisted I send her to her tuition class and then pick her up afterwards. She was all geared up with excitement to show me her classroom, teachers and friends. I dropped her off at the learning centre and hastily dashed off for a dinner appointment with Tudi and Rae which I was running late for. Her bewildered look when I left her tore my heart to pieces. I also couldn't bear to tell her the truth that I would not be able to pick her up after class and just kept quiet when she made me promise to do so. I hope she doesn't condemn me to the liar-can't-be-trusted-adults class of people in her world.

Grandpa asked me for the third time today when I will be leaving for Sydney. When I told him the departure date has been brought forward by two full days to Saturday morning, the look on his face made me turn away in guilt. He had expected me to spend the whole weekend with the family as I had originally planned to leave on Sunday night.

Grandma bought me a pandan flavoured sugar roll that was very delicious. When I expressed how much I liked it, she said she would buy me a whole box of it for me to eat over the weekend before I leave, and then promptly remembered I wouldn't be spending the weekend here. She then said, "No worries. I will buy some for you tomorrow so you can have it before you leave."

5 comments:

Edmond Wu said...

man, i can understand how it feels

Anonymous said...

how come u pushed forward ur departure?

monkeycrab said...

Madam J: LKH arrives on Monday. It will be a hectic work week so I had to plan for a day of rest before all the long meetings start.

MADAM J said...

haha! totally understand. u know, almost 2 years have passed since my first day with Rex. time flies huh?

monkeycrab said...

has it been that long?!?! omg. unbelievable. it means we are growing old at a very fast rate!!!