growing up

One of my to-do tasks this trip back to SG is to dig out those old photo albums and scan the important photos so I have the electronic copies before the actual photos disintegrate over time. Thanks to Ginn who supplied the equipment and time to undertake this project for me. I still do not have the full collection scanned but will do so slowly in stages. Here are some teaser shots for your viewing pleasure.

I was already doing the Saturday Night Fever moves when I was one month old. That's when I wasn't playing with my favourite airplane toy in our Ubin house.



Here you see my pretty Mama celebrating my first birthday. If you look closely, we used to have a small TV in Ubin (in the background of the first pic below). My family taught me to ride a motorbike when I was really little, or so they wish to but failed. LOL.





Don't you think I look different in each photo? They seem to be photos of different kids. My friends who saw my old photos all commented that my looks seem to change all the time over the years.



Here's me hanging out alone with a bottle of drink along the corridor.



And Bro was born. He was a super chubby baby. Contrary to mine, his looks didn't change much over the years.



Celebrating Bro's first birthday with Dad and Mama. This is a super precious photo to me as I discovered we only have a handful of pics that include Dad and this seems to be the one and only pic I could find of the whole family.



Here's Bro wearing my sunnies and standing in the middle of the huge garden we had in front of the main house. Notice it's covered with green green grass now and no longer bare like what can be seen in the motorbike pics above? You can see the small vege plot and chicken coop behind more clearly here too.



There was a lot of effort put in to beautify the garden over the years. Hence you see lots of greenery at this stage when I was about 5 or 6.



Our main house faced the sea. In the first pic below, Mama and Bro were standing on another house on stilts built on a wooden bridge that extended out about 25m to sea (I think). You see parts of the beach in the background. This additional house on stilts had 2 bedrooms and was a minute's walk from the main house. It served as a guesthouse for our friends and also as our play area when we wanted to fish or play mahjong or just masak masak. Did I mention that we could see the sun set right in front of our house every evening? In the second pic below, you see me with food in my mouth. I used to have my dinner on the bridge watching the sun set on most evenings.



Here I was 6 and wearing my Kindy uniform. Second pic was taken on board our Grandpa's wooden bumboat that ferried passengers between Changi and Ubin jetties.



That's Grandpa behind us (Bro, Cousin and I) steering the boat.



I didn't know we were already doing the -.-v when we were little.



Above are only some of the interesting photos. You can view all the others here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Childhood memories are always quite nice. :)