another book spree

I spent the first day of 2010 hunting for the Dune Chronicles in every single bookstore I could find in the City and the suburbs of Newtown and Glebe. I was about to give up (those few shops that carried the books either had them in bad condition or didn't have the first few books) and order online when I found the entire series in Kelly's Books along Broadway. And they were having a mega sale - 50% off all paperbacks! A short chat with the staff on duty revealed that the sale was to have ended on 31 December and they were supposedly closed on New Year Day. The owner decided on a whim to open for business on the public holiday and to extend the sale period for another week.

Just to give you an idea of how cheap the books were, Stieg Larsson's final instalment to the Millennium Trilogy: The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest was selling for $16 (everywhere else was selling for $30+ a week ago when I was deciding to get that for a colleague as a X'mas present or not). And I got the first three books of the Dune series at only $16 which works out to be $5.33 each. Another bookstore in the city was selling them at like $16 each and they didn't have the complete series in stock. I also saw lots of classics (the likes of Austen and Bronte and more) going for below $5. Mind you, they were all brand new and not used books.



Check out my loot for the day... I think these are enough to last me for a couple of months...

- Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy: all three books
- Frank Herbert's Dune Chronicles: all six books
- Paul of Dune, the sequel to Dune by Brian Herbert & Kevin J Anderson
- Shakespeare Matters by Geoff Spiteri
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- The Family Way by Tony Parsons
- Say It Like Obama by Shel Leanne
- Stephen Fry in America by Stephen Fry (I finally finally finally got this book! And this is the first book I'm reading in this new year. I had wanted to get it right from the very first time I saw it in late 2008 / early 2009 but I wasn't willing to pay $50 for it. Now I got it for like less than $20.)



Oh and not to forget to mention, Kelly's Books had every single book Terry Pratchett has ever written and published, right there on the shelves. I was so so so so so so tempted to buy ALL OF THEM. There was even one last Good Omens paperback left in store but I didn't get it because it wasn't the dual Angel and Devil covers front and back version I wanted. I kept piling on Pratchett's books at the cashier, then placed them back onto the shelves, stared forlornly at them, brought them to the cashier again, placed them back onto the shelves.... (repeated that for at least 3x)... when I decided that I'd spent enough money on books in one day and walked out of the shop reluctantly with just the above listed titles.

I may well decide to pay them another visit within the week to see if the mega sale is still on...

2 comments:

littlegeo said...

waaaaah pratchett books!!! we find them so wickedly funneh! :D but aww.. we understands ur piling actions... huggles

Eliss said...

you know I am your very eager little librarian member Jacq!!!
Due to general dismal mood over the NY cold weather, I moped at home and paid $10 for a 2nd hand easy reading Liza Dalby novel at The Berkelouw...-_-|||