the red and the greens



I thought I would break the series of gloomy posts by sharing some of my favourite photos taken during a recent walk in Newtown - a suburb that I never tire of exploring.

Left: Red man in the cabinet
I was in a cafe with the housemate when I saw the reflection of the red man on the mirror of a small cabinet at the counter. It took me a long while adjusting the focus manually to capture this on top of having to wait for the human and vehicular traffic to pass. I must have appeared weird because the housemate kept wondering wth I was trying to capture - I suppose I was the only one able to see this scene because of the spot I was seated at. I had wanted to get a shot of the green man too but the cafe staff started opening and closing the cabinet too frequently to get stuff that I didn't get a chance to do so.

Right: G'day sale!
I had the intention of turning this into a black and white picture but keeping the vibrant green of the leaves the moment I saw the bicycle and before I even framed the shot. Afterwards, I spent hours outlining the irregular edges of the vines in quick mask mode in Photoshop, going into each pixel - the perfectionist in me couldn't accept missing out a pixel even though it probably won't even be visible in the end product.

You can click on the respective photo for a larger version.

2 comments:

o8ight said...

hahaha

"... but the cafe staff started opening and closing the cabinet too frequently to get stuff "

i din tink u appeared weird, but juz din figure wat u were taking. space very constrained in the mini cafe, i couldn't reali turn around also.

Sunshine23 said...

Beautiful photos.. And I think you really have the grapz for looking at things from certain angle.. You did the DSLR justice.. ^_^