berry meringue



Remember the berry meringue I successfully made on the eve of my thirtieth birthday? I thought I'd try to re-create it for dessert one night and document the process as I did so I can share here on how easy it is to make it.



The above was all that was needed: a big bowl, eggs (I used 4 the first time and that turned out to be much more than expected and could feed 3 people so I used 2 this time), berries (from a pack of frozen berries bought at the local supermarket), an electric egg beater and dessert bowls. I also added a tablespoon of sugar as I like it uber sweet.



First I separated the egg whites from the yolks - we only need the whites. The first time I did it, I thought this was the most difficult step but it was too easy the second time round. Add sugar if desired according to your level of sweet-toothiness (is there such word?) and then beat it until it turns into a mass of great white fluff as shown above. I believe only an electric beater can do the job but you can always try beating it manually but keep me posted on the outcome ok?



This, I feel, is the most difficult step of all - folding the berries into the fluff without destroying the fluff. Being the impatient person that I am, I ruined the whole mixture the second round because I wasn't gentle enough. Also note not to be too greedy with the berries, too much berries in relation to the fluff will kill it too (I believe it was the moisture when the frozen berries thawed).



Then you pour the mixture into the dessert bowl - remember to spread butter all around beforehand. It will look like an unappetising blob of gooey stuff as seen in the below pic but will turn out all nice if it rises properly as in the first pic above. Here, you will see the mixture looking more reddish pink than white - that's because I added too much berries. You want to be able to see more whites than red in yours.



Lastly, just put them into the preheated oven at 180 degrees celsius. I can't remember how long it stayed in the oven but it wasn't long, maybe about 10 minutes? I just kept peeping in through the glass window and the moment I saw it turn a nice golden brown, I removed it. Sprinkle some icing sugar on it, add fresh strawberries on top and serve with a scoop of the creamiest vanilla ice cream you can find.

So easy right? I didn't even need to study any recipe books and can whip it up in less than half an hour. Try it!

No comments: