symphony in the domain: midsummer shakespeare

As part of the Sydney Festival 2011, the Sydney Symphony with Bell Shakespeare and the Sydney Philharmonia Choirs presented a magnificent lineup of great live music in The Domain. I packed a huge picnic bag of goodies - lots of chips, crackers, various cheeses, assorted salami and proscuitto - and my favourite retro beach rugs and sprawled myself on the lush green grass to immerse in a selection of tunes from Shakespeare's most popular plays such as Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream under the stars.


Hugging my favourite pack of Red Rock Thai Sweet Chilli potato chips while I enjoyed my first free outdoor classical music concert.


There were thousands of other people making themselves comfortable in the park, most of whom camped there at the venue the entire day just to secure the best spot right in front of the stage. I arrived just before the start of the concert and could only get a little corner so far away from the stage the performers appeared as mere dots in my vision. The sound system was well set up though, such that I reckon everyone within a 1km radius could hear each note clearly.

It was the perfect way to spend a midsummer Saturday evening. I should look out for more of such free concerts to attend!

No comments: