words of appreciation make a difference



For the first time in weeks, I had a well rested night last night with 13 hours of sleep. I took a short stroll to work from the nearest bus stop (because my car battery went dead on me again) while listening to my current favourite korean songs on my mp3 player and admiring the small fluffy balls of cotton in the sky.

To my absolute surprise, a bouquet of golden sunflowers greeted me at work! For a moment I thought I have a secret admirer in the form of a tall, dark and handsome knight. It turned out better than I thought when I read the card and realized the bouquet was from a whole bunch of beautiful people on my project team.

This project I took on in March 2009 finally reached a major milestone yesterday. It was the construction of a brand new live-in campus for our pilot training academy in Wagga Wagga. We obtained occupancy for Stage 1 construction in the first week of May and had our official opening yesterday. It was an amazing feat by the entire team to get the premises presentable enough to receive about 150 guests including government officials and international dignitaries in just three weeks from the time we took over the buildings.

I had been working crazy hours for weeks and nearly walked out of my job a few times due to the frustration and stress I faced trying to complete the project to the expectations of the higher powers. I felt unappreciated for my own efforts and sacrifices. But seeing the hard work put in by so many other members of the team, and not being a quitter myself, I just had to grit my teeth and get whatever needed to be done, done, so as not to let all the others on the team down.

Receiving my favourite flowers and a thank you email (reproduced in part below in italics) made me tear a bit and retract what I said and thought about being unappreciated.


"Jac,

While I know I have said this privately to quite a few people in the past eight months, but certainly on behalf of myself and all the staff and Directors in our company, we wanted to say just how totally blown away we have been with the way in which you have dealt with all of us and the construction process.

We were all left totally astounded by your ability to come to grips with Architects, Interior Designers, Construction Managers, Builders and more importantly computer tech people (although we're fairly sure that the latter will not be on your Christmas card list). Your queries were insightful and always intelligent ……………………and all this from our diminutive Corporate Services Manager
(--> he's referring to me; why am I diminutive?!).

We will miss our little luncheon sessions at the Airport café where you attempted to eat your way through the meat pies and sausage rolls.

But, of course, there’s still Stage 2. For now, rest and breathe the air. We hope that, come bonus time there will be a big payout to you for all your efforts (and if not, give us a call and we’ll come down to your office to have a little talk with your boss
--> HAHA! This is funny! I'll hold them at their words!).

We say well done Jac and I hope you didn’t down the bottle
(they gave me a bottle of whisky post the opening!) in one session.

Regards,
SC"



Well I hope all those on the team have a good rest this weekend before we start the next round of madness!!!

5 comments:

Sunshine23 said...

*clap clap clap*
Congrats Angel.. Finally all your hardwork paid off.
Give yourself a good treat and pampering bah!!

JT said...

Can't help but say Congrats and a job well done. :o)

PawPaw said...

Jac,that is an absolutely glowing reference. I have rarely seen such compliments from a client or employer "we are totally astounded by your ability"!!!! Your a star!!!

fav tudi said...

tis is soooo sooo cool. so proud of you shifu! <333

::: I aM wHo I aM ::: said...

wow, i bet that must have blown all those around u away :) Gd job Angel wor~!