homemade salad dinners

Since coming back from SG, my weekly grocery shopping list has consistently looked like this:

- vine ripened Amoroso® Petite Truss tomatoes
- pre-packed washed and ready to eat Baby Mesclun mixed leaves salad that consists of baby spinach, baby rocket, baby tatsoi, baby mizuna, red coral, red oak, green oak, green coral, red chard leaves
- avocados
- sweet baby cucumbers
- broccoli
- cup mushrooms
- eggs
- shaved chicken ham
- salami
- butternut pumpkin
- packets of mixed dried fruit and nuts
- fetta cheese
- various types of salad dressing
- and the occasional pack of roasted chicken breast

And I've been mixing and matching the above listed ingredients (bearing in mind the body's requirement for a balanced diet consisting of proteins, vitamins, minerals and fibre) to create various types of homemade salads for weeknight dinners.





These are just two of my many concoctions. They are really easy and quick to prepare, make a very refreshing and appetising meal after a long exhausting day at work, light on the stomach thus avoiding problems of indigestion associated with eating late night dinners just before sleeptime, and are really friendly to the waistline.

Never quite a fan of green leafy vegetables, I have forced myself to observe this regime purely for health reasons. Initially, for the first day or two, I gagged a bit on the leaves and constantly wrinkled my nose picking through them; those other colourful and meaty bits added to the salad bowl helped to disguise the weird bitter-ish taste of chlorophyll. Surprisingly, I now find myself developing a liking for these green stuff and actually have the occasional craving to have them for lunch as well.

I am hoping this new diet will help shave ten years off my ageing soon-to-approach-the-30s skin/face/body by the time I go back home for the next CNY.

2 comments:

Madam j said...

babe! well done! who would have thought jac pak would be a veggie convert! but 2 hard boiled eggs? more than enough cholesterol for a day!

monkeycrab said...

i pass on the yolk though...