sweet home alabama

I went for my 13th guitar lesson today. I had a hard time refreshing myself with the fingerings and catching up with the standard course progress the last two lessons because I didn't touch the guitar for an entire month when I took a holiday back home. I'm glad to say I'm back on track now following a few days of forced daily practices despite the fatigue after a long work day.

Today, my teacher taught me to play the guitar intro to Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd (what a name!). Because I am still such an amateur, we had to do it really slowly, like really really S--L--O--W--L--Y note by note such that I couldn't even tell it was the intro to this song. Hopefully I'll be able to string the notes all together at the normal speed and rhythm soon. Oh, I also learnt to do a 'pull-off' and a 'hammer-on' today. I let out a loud OOH and AAH and WOW and YAY when I successfully executed them which led to my teacher having a small giggle at my idiotic face - I couldn't help it; I was just so thrilled to be learning new tricks!

Here's a vid of Lynyrd Skynyrd performing the song live.



And here's a vid I found that teaches you how to play the intro. Useful.



Oh and did I update that I can now pluck and sing at the same time a whole two verses of Flightless Bird, American Mouth by Iron and Wine right up to the chorus? Next I need to figure out how the strumming for the chorus goes. ^^

No comments: