ampersand cafe bookstore

Thanks to Pawpaw for this amazing discovery of a gem, I spent an idyllic Saturday afternoon in Ampersand Cafe Bookstore situated along Oxford Street in Paddington. It's not just another cafe along the street full of them, but one that is part of a three storey library of over 30,000 used books with big comfy couches tucked in discreet corners where you can enjoy endless cups of great coffee - I had the best, creamiest Chai Latte ever there that afternoon - while enjoying a good read you pick off the bookshelf right next to you. They also offer a full breakfast and lunch menu in addition to the usual coffee sweets and pastries displayed at the counter.

I managed to get a seat on the uppermost floor by the window that overlooks the vibrant street outside so I could people-watch while getting my caffeine fix or when my eyes are tired of reading through those tiny fonts on my favourite books. I even managed to pick up a humongous cook book that contained over 300 Chinese, Far Eastern and other Asian dishes for only $3.50 thanks to a special promotion where a pre-purchased $10 voucher entitled us to five cups of coffee and a book up to a value of $15.

I absolutely love the place and don't mind spending a few more weekends there. Oh and by the way they do cash and bookstore credit exhanges for pre-loved books too and can even organise home visits if you have a book collection of more than 200 for sale. Fits in nicely with my plan to try and clear out some space in my overflowing bookshelf to make way for more good reads.

Here are a few pictures taken with my iPhone of the place. It's worth a visit there yourself when you have the time.







2 comments:

Eliss said...

no wonder we missed each other. You were chilling inside the bookstore and I was just outside waiting on coffee on grab and go mode.

monkeycrab said...

You should go chill inside next time too. Very nice.