malaya inn

I was in Melbourne for the weekend and the highlight of the trip was the authentic Singaporean hawker fare I had at Malaya Inn in Doncaster.


Hokkien mee ie. fried prawn noodles. It was served with very good sambal chilli although they were very very stingy with it. I could have finished the tiny saucer of chilli in one gulp.


Fried carrot cake with lots of eggs in dark soy sauce. My favourite!


Orh lua!!! ie. fried oyster omelette. I have not had this dish in ages. They served it with the wrong type of chilli (chilli that is meant for hainanese chicken rice) though.

Oh why why why can't we have some of these in Sydney? I know there are places here that serve such Malaysian / Singaporean cuisine, but I have not found one that is half as authentic as Malaya Inn yet. According to friends who are living in Melbourne now, they have no lack of options (and very good ones too) whenever they need to satisfy their cravings for some super greasy SG hawker food. And that Malaya Inn is not even the best restaurant around. Argghhh.... unfair!

Malaya Inn
25 Village Avenue
Doncaster
VIC 3108
Tel: (03) 9857 4269

3 comments:

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Where's the char kway teow?! x

monkeycrab said...

likkle girl: oh my, i have totally forgotten abt char kway teow leh. i think i was too distracted by the orh lua on the menu... well, we actually get quite good char kway teow in sydney so it wasn't a great loss forgetting abt it in mel this time, i guess.

and oh, do you know that there's a char kway teow instant pack by prima taste too?

The Likkle Girl Who Wurves Pwetty Things said...

Tee hee hee. Yes, I know. We are big fans of Prima Pre-mix in this household. But I think my favourite is the Laksa. x