custom bronzed aussie

I made up my mind to get myself a guitar for my upcoming birthday in July. Since I already have an acoustic Aria with nylon strings, I thought of getting an acoustic/electric one with steel strings that allows me to plug into an amp. So I spent the weekend hunting around to shortlist my options. My budget was $500 - $700.

First stop was the huge Allans Music store just down the road from my apartment. They are having a stocktake sale until 27 June. There, I shortlisted the Ibanez AEG20E (transparent red sunburst) $629, the Takamine EG5403SCVFT G-series (vintage sunburnt) $949 with a 15% discount = $806 and the Martin DCX1E $1795 with a 15% discount = $1525.

Then today I popped into the big-ass Billy Hyde store along Parramatta Road to check out their guitar range and found the Martin DCX1E going for $1199. I was pretty much decided on that one until I saw the custom limited edition Maton Bronzed Aussie that took my breath away. It was love at first sight. I couldn't not get it. Especially after I got the saleperson to test-play it for comparison with the Martin DCX1E both plugged into an amp. The difference in sound quality is pretty significant. You really get what you pay for huh.





The $6699 price tag and the after discount tag shocked me. I had to check with the salesperson to confirm it wasn't a mistake. The salesperson who is a guitarist himself couldn't believe it too and had to call the store manager/owner to verify. He was pretty upset he did not discover this gem before me or he would have bought it for himself. I'm not telling how much I eventually paid for it but I did get a freakin' unbelievable deal. So I now have one out of the only six of these beauties existing in this world in my room. :D



There is the outline of the Australian continent carved onto the fret board. That this new baby of mine is wholly Australian made has a special meaning to me at this stage of my life. It's even more symbolic because of the fact that I eventually started my guitar playing days in Australia after so many years of dragging my feet on it.



Now I need to save money to get an amp... I am so broke I have to survive on air and water for a few months. That's what you call passion.

1 comment:

fav tudi said...

yes, passion indeed!!! well worth it!